Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Riding the motor scooter in Wilmington this week, I stopped at the Arboretum for fresh air, peace, exercise and blogging. Iris
The New Hanover County Arboretum is free, and is run by Cooperative Extension Service, so they're very focused on helping people with their agricultural efforts - the vegetable gardens show different ways to grow veggies, for instance. There's a growing focus on habitat - the right plants in the right place.
I took the self-guided tour, which is a good way to make sure you see it all.
One of the cool things they do there is they have the Ability Garden, where they help disabled people get to play with plants. They have quite a collection of gardening tools that are easier to use, and raised beds accessible to people in wheelchairs, and what not. It's a neat program.
The center of the area is a large pond, Pond at Wilmington Arboretum complete with island, and water plants, and sculpture. There are wetland gardens and deck gardens and conifer plantings and Children's Gardena cool children's garden and desert gardens... and my favorite was the Japanese garden, Japanese Teahousecomplete with teahouse.
There were very very tall trees in the conifer planting, Pines reach the sky
and very very tiny trees (bonsai) in the greenhouse.BonsaiThere were lots of varieties of roses in the rose garden - and something very rose-looking in the greenhouse but actually it's a succulent. Echeveria look like roses It's name is Echeveria.
It was a most enjoyable afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely arbetorium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:33 PM

    You are so lucky and I almost envy you that you have this great opportunity to do this. Yet alas I also think that I would never be able to do this on my own. I really admire more then envy your ability to be able to enjoy so much of what life has out there.

    some day when I visit next you'll have to take me to some of these places. Lady J

    ps...moving to texas next...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but I've had a lot of spam lately. It's all by "Anonymous" so "Anonymous" can't post any more. All comments to this blog are moderated. If you post spam it will do you no good. Comments from my actual readers are welcome and appreciated.