Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Heading through the high winds but between rainstorms, up from the beach toward Greensboro, I saw the sign at Ellerbe for the Town Creek Indian Mound. Of course, I had to check it out.









It was raining when I arrived, but I watched the movie in the visitors center and the rain quit by the time it was over.










The mound is within a walled compound. Entrance is through this gate, wide enough for one person to pass at a time, for security purposes.












The archaeologists have reconstructed buildings on the site, on and around the mound. A ceremonial building atop the mound, a dwelling, a burial hut.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but I've had a lot of spam lately. It's all by "Anonymous" so "Anonymous" can't post any more. All comments to this blog are moderated. If you post spam it will do you no good. Comments from my actual readers are welcome and appreciated.