Pages

Friday, August 18, 2006


What's Cool About This Place?, part 2

Pictures are uploaded! I did a lot of things so I don't know what worked, but they are up!


2 weeks ago work took me - and my new Palm Treo cellphone - to Hampton & Newport News VA. This was rather wierd: My daughters used to live there and moved away just last year so it felt really really strange to be there and not visit them. Of course I've been there a lot - but always DID visit the kids so I wasn't exploring.


This time, I found - mere miles from their old house - the Sandy Bottom Nature Park. http://www.hampton.gov/sandybottom/ I spent 2 afternoons enjoying the green shade and waterside trails.

Sandy Bottom is reclaimed land. It used to be a place where sand was mined for building roads and garbage was just dumped. Now it's 456 acres of nature in the middle of the Newport News/Hampton traffic.


There's a nature center and gift shop.
There are twin lakes with a trail running between. Lots of other walking trails too. You can picnic, fish, rent boats, go camping...

There's a tent campground and 4 cabin tents on platforms which are so much at the lake shore that they almost hang over the water.












It wasn't a work trip that took me to Buena Vista, VA last weekend, but a bike rally at Glen Maury Park. I'd driven past the sign to the park many times previously. Somehow I had pictured a small flat RV park in the middle of town which occasionally hosted a bluegrass festival. Well, it does host a bluegrass festival, but there the accuracy of my vision fades. Glen Maury actually is a quite large park, with lots of green space between its 3 camping areas. Nice pool.
Lots of good riding in the area too.Sue and I rode to the Goshen Pass and enjoyed the cool river for a while before returning to camp for dinner.



She rides a Harley Fat Boy; I ride a Honda Elite scooter. Quite a pair. We had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but I've had a lot of spam lately. It's all by "Anonymous" so "Anonymous" can't post any more. All comments to this blog are moderated. If you post spam it will do you no good. Comments from my actual readers are welcome and appreciated.