Pages

Friday, July 27, 2007

Another few stores in the tidewater area, and I got to go to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center.
When I arrived, they were petting and I presume feeding the seals, who were doing tricks.










Skates and rays are relatives of sharks - but much cuter.










Horseshoe crabs have been around since prehistory. They have at least 3 different sorts of eyes.










Penguins.










Sea Horses.













Decoys aren't art, they're hunting tools. Right? Darned artistic ones.










Fish. Well, it IS an aquarium.










And jellyfish.










By this time, I'd gone through two buildings and the walking trail in between both ways, and I was pretty much overdosed on crowds. I grabbed a quick hamburger in the motorhome and took the boat tour. With a two-person crew and maybe 8 passengers, it was peaceful - and we all know I love to go play with water.














Signs of the times.








A fishing boat awaits the tide.











Dinner time for sea birds.










We went up to the bridge and back. According to the boat guide, this used to be a fresh water lake, until people noticed that when salt water got into it, there were less mosquitoes - so they opened it up to a bit of salt water. Then they opened it up completely to bring in a large boat and it's been a salt water inlet ever since.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:29 AM

    Way cool, wish I could be there. Getting someone to take me to the store is my biggest treat these days. I haven't been able to drive since December so I'm pretty nutsy most days to get out.

    In time..Great pictures, and yet, sign of the times. Lady J

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but I've had a lot of spam lately. It's all by "Anonymous" so "Anonymous" can't post any more. All comments to this blog are moderated. If you post spam it will do you no good. Comments from my actual readers are welcome and appreciated.