Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Swamped

During the time the campground was filled up with people working the local nuke plant shutdown, it rained. It rained a lot - enough that schools were closed in the area due to flooding. It was definitely not normal weather for here, and it presented "interesting times".
Part of the land here at the campground is wetlands preserve. It's inhabited by at least one alligator, fish, frogs, turtles, and beavers. The beavers thought this extra rain was great. The humans were not so amused. Remember the picture I posted of the pond with the canoe? Here it is again. Except I'd moved the canoe to higher ground.

The road to the campground crosses water. When all that rain hit, the road got muddy and the swamp got deep. I was concerned that it would wash out the road but it didn't. I spent a lot of time making sure the culverts under the road were clear.

On one of my culvert inspections, I found this turtle held fast against the mouth of the pipe by the suction of the rushing water. I got him unstuck, and found another one at the other culvert. When I freed that one, he woooshed through the pipe and I found him again, on the other side of the road, stuck upside down on debris. Flipped him over and he was on his way.

While the road didn't wash out, it was under water for a little while. When the waters receded, I found this fish still alive on the sand. He got real excited when I picked him up, but I didn't drop him despite his best efforts at escaping, so he was happily headed downstream last time I saw him.

Every morning I clear debris from the culverts, and every night the beavers put it back. They particularly like to try to block this one culvert, so the mounds of debris are piling up quite nicely.

It's been a while since the mini-monsoon, and things are back to normal.

2 comments:

  1. Good job helping out the critters and keeping the culverts clean, even with the beavers working against you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you are, saving & helping nature & are the beavers grateful? Nope. You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but I've had a lot of spam lately. It's all by "Anonymous" so "Anonymous" can't post any more. All comments to this blog are moderated. If you post spam it will do you no good. Comments from my actual readers are welcome and appreciated.