Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

National Museum of the Marine Corps

Last Sunday after I broke camp, I went to the National Museum of the Marine Corps at Quantico VA.
I've been to museums, and museums - but this one is Really Good. The following pictures do not do it justice, but I'll try to give you an idea.




USMC history goes back to the Revolution. Here, colonial era Marines tend to the rigging overhead.


In the Making of a Marine section, you learn about Boot Camp and are screamed at by DI's - drill instructors as they begin to train you to withstand the stress of combat.
Here, a recruit is on the rappel tower.



A look at a Marine's personal articles.



A female Marine in uniform.



Civilians learn of Pearl Harbor on their radio. Ignore the flat screen monitors - those are for us.



A Marine in Viet Nam - I believe the enemy is hiding under there.



Marines in town warfare. Note the Marine comforting the child near the house.


Many of the displays were immersion experiences. I was immersed, so you don't get many pictures of those. Here, we are landing out of the plane and right into combat.


War all around. Dead bodies.


Wounded.



Back in a main area - Marines at work.


I have much increased appreciation for what you Marines do. I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the word verification, but I've had a lot of spam lately. It's all by "Anonymous" so "Anonymous" can't post any more. All comments to this blog are moderated. If you post spam it will do you no good. Comments from my actual readers are welcome and appreciated.