Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Boondocker's Coffeemaker

I broke my beloved Melitta coffee carafe. You know, the kind that takes #6 cone filters & makes 10 cups of drip coffee without benefit of electricity? As it had been quite a while since I'd had that particular variety of klutz-attack, I was quite surprised to find these are no longer readily available in stores. I bought the one I broke years ago at the supermarket, so that was the first place I looked. Nope, and not WalMart, KMart or Target either. A friend nicely gifted me with a still-available single cup version, with a really neat cup. But my search continued.
I did find it on line, though, at ACE HARDWARE, and ordered one. It came today and water is boiling for coffee. YAY!
So what's up with the retail assumption that we all have lots of counter space to spare and can't pour water???

3 comments:

  1. We are Melitta fans, too, but I switched to putting my #4 Melitta filter on a big flat-topped thermos (at home) or my #2 filter directly on an insulated travel mug on the road. No glass to break and it stays hot. Just a thought should you need this in future. I've been doing this for 25 years and my Midwestern parents still insist that I'm drinking "instant" coffee. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:22 AM

    Yep, we broke ours and now use 2 plastic ones. The ceramic was much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retail also assumes it can tell us what we want or need - the original Melita is a nice simple coffee brewer. You get it out when you need it, put it away when you don't. Now its getting hard to find a good basic electric brewer - basic as in no digital clock timer, no built in grinder, no clock radio ipod player, and one that actually brews hot coffee rather than one that makes warmish coffee colored fluid.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the word verification, but I've had a lot of spam lately. It's all by "Anonymous" so "Anonymous" can't post any more. All comments to this blog are moderated. If you post spam it will do you no good. Comments from my actual readers are welcome and appreciated.